New York, NY - American Lyric Theater presented A Toast to Ten Years, a wine tasting recital in celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the company's lauded Composer Librettist Development Program (CLDP), on Friday, November 17, 2017 at 7pm at The Players, 16 Gramercy Park South, NYC. Tickets were $125 ($50 tax-deductible) and $250 ($175 tax-deductible), and tables of four were available at $500 ($200 tax-deductible) and $1,000 ($700 tax-deductible).
The event was a wine tasting recital, during which attendees had the opportunity to taste seven different wines that had been paired with excerpts from seven different operas developed by CLDP alumni, which were produced across the country. The evening was hosted by ALT's founder and producing artistic director Lawrence Edelson with Heather Meyer, East Coast regional manager for Winemonger Imports.
The evening included excerpts from (with wine pairings):
- Daniel Curran sang "Isadora" from Invisible Cities (Christopher Cerrone*) - world premiere at The Industry, LA, 2013, nominated for The Pulitzer Prize in Music (La Jara Prosecco NV Brut - Prosecco region, Veneto, Italy)
- Heather Johnson sang Jessie's aria "At the top of the Stairs" from The Long Walk (Jeremy Howard Beck*/Stephanie Fleischmann*) - world premiere at Opera Saratoga, 2015 (Rosi Schuster Blaufränkisch 2015 - Burgenland, Austria)
- Michael Kelly sang "A Lucky Man" from JFK (David T. Little/Royce Vavrek*) - world premiere at Fort Worth Opera, 2016 (Umathum Rosa 2016 - Burgenland, Austria)
- Daniel Curran sang "The Google Aria" from Why is Eartha Kitt Trying to Kill Me? (Jeffrey Dennis Smith*/David Johnston*) - concert premiere at (le) poisson rouge; world staged premiere at Urban Arias, 2018 (Gut Hermannsberg Riesling Trocken 2014 - Nahe, Germany)
- Carolina Worra and Adrian Rosas sang "Sylvia's Aria and The Phone Call" from Embedded (Patrick Soluri*/Deborah Brevoort*) - world premiere at Fargo Moorhead Opera, 2014 (Rodaro Refosco dal Pedunculo Rosso 2015 - Friuli, Italy)
- Cree Carrico and Heather Johnson sang "Cassie, an impending storm" from After the Storm (David Hanlon/Stephanie Fleischmann*) - world premiere at Houston Grand Opera, 2016 (Lichtenberger-Gonzales Muschelkalk Weiss 2015 - Burgenland, Austria)
- Kamala Sankaram, Cree Carrico and Sarah Heltzer sang "Chukar Song" from Thumbprint (Kamala Sankaram*/ Susan Yankowitz) - world premiere at the PROTOTYPE Festival, 2014 (Tschida Angerhof Grüner Veltliber Eiswein 2015 - Burgenland, Austria)
*indicates alumni of the CLDP
Wines were provided by Wine Monger, an importer of fine wines from Austria, Italy, Germany and France. The event, which was presented in partnership with Magnvm Opvs Tasting Concerts, also featured a raffle.