Ars Nova seeks a strategic thinker, brand maven, live-event salesperson and leader to join us as Director of Marketing and Communications. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director serves as a key member of the theater’s senior management team and will drive concept expansion, earned income, and audience development strategy at an exciting moment of growth and transition.
Ars Nova exists to discover, develop and launch singular theater, comedy and music artists who are in the early stages of their careers. We were founded as a playground and a launch pad for emerging artists to create new work, with a dual mission to build the next generation of audiences for live entertainment by prioritizing a zeitgeist-forward aesthetic and marrying it with accessible ticket prices. Today, Ars Nova is known for its “pop-culture-savvy experimentation, with a hipness that sets it apart” (New York Times).
The Director joins us in the midst of executing a three-year strategic plan, designed in part to greatly expand our activities through public programming across two buildings: our flex-seat development Hub uptown and our 199-seat Off Broadway theater downtown. As we grow, the Director will ensure we remain committed to cultivating New York City’s youngest and most adventurous theater-goers, while also developing, increasing and diversifying our audience size and demographics.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented and ambitious leader advancing in the field of live-entertainment marketing to make an impact on Ars Nova, the field at large, and most importantly, on the lives and careers of the next generation of performing-art makers and fans.
Ars Nova recognizes that historic institutional practices lead to a non-inclusive environment, and we are actively working to address diversity and inclusion in all forms, across all our activities. Unraveling systems of power and privilege requires active engagement across our community of stakeholders and we acknowledge the complexity of the work ahead. We strongly encourage candidates of color, and/or from diverse backgrounds/underrepresented groups to apply.
KEY PURPOSE OF POSITION/GOALS:
The Director of Marketing and Communication is the CEO of Ars Nova’s marketing and communication strategy, and is directly responsible for our branding, marketing, public relations, sales, front of house operations, customer service and audience acquisition and engagement. Specifically, you will:
- Create and implement an institutional marketing and communications plan in support of Ars Nova’s strategic goals;
- Elevate the Ars Nova brand within the conscious mind of our city and our industry;
- Motivate your team to craft marketing campaigns for membership and single ticket sales resulting in events filled with young, diverse audiences;
- Make it possible for Ars Nova to fill two spaces with non-stop programming, by merging messaging between activities and building audience crossover and retention;
- Serve as a member of Ars Nova’s highly collaborative senior leadership team, guiding initiatives, building consensus and harnessing the expertise of constituents across the organization;
- Cultivate a risk-taking work environment that enables innovation and growth in new technology and marketing practices.
- Developing and executing a consistent articulation of Ars Nova’s desired image and position as an industry-leading, high-quality innovator and aspirational destination for artists throughout the NYC community, the theater world and beyond to all constituents, both internal and external.
- Strategizing, creating, managing and executing targeted marketing plans for all programs and initiatives, including:
- Planning, managing and executing branding, market research, media planning, market segmentation, targeting and pricing strategies;
- Developing and monitoring revenue projections and implementing dynamic pricing strategies to maximize revenue;
- Directing the development of all visual and print materials.
- Developing and implementing audience development initiatives, including:
- Building and expanding a sustainable audience base that reflects the diversity of NYC and our nation at large;
- Ensuring that the audience’s experience of the theater is inclusive, welcoming, kind and comfortable;
- Representing Ars Nova, building external contacts, and engaging with various communities, organizations, and service groups.
- Mentoring and providing performance management of marketing and audience engagement staff, including:
- Supervising the Marketing Manager who develops collateral, including show programs, direct mail, advertising, promotions, web and mobile content;
- Supervising the Audience Engagement Associate and developing policies to create efficient customer service and ticketing services including box office, group sales and front-of-house operations.
- Participating as a visionary member of Ars Nova’s core team, as a strategic thought leader on short and long-term organizational matters as well as season planning and launch;
- Attending Full Board and Committee meetings that are relevant to the work of the Marketing Team;
- Collaborating with the Director of Development to meet institutional goals and integrate organizational strategy and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts;
- Assisting other teams within the organization as necessary and appropriate.
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE:
- A passion for collaboration, for theater-making, for artists of all stripes, and a strong desire for experimentation;
- Aesthetic/Taste alignment with the company;
- A willingness to let the best idea rise to the top and an adeptness at navigating authority/responsibility within a highly collaborative framework;
- An ability to toggle back and forth between strategic thinking and getting in the mud to make it happen, without sacrificing attention to detail;
- Maturity, drive and enthusiasm;
- Flexibility and entrepreneurship;
- An affinity for full speed/all-out/go-big-or-go-home environments.
A COMPETITIVE CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- 5-7 years training and/or experience in marketing for an arts, creative, or forward-thinking organization (not-for-profit experience a plus);
- a strong facility to focus and prioritize in an ever-changing environment with an ability to meet multiple, competing deadlines;
- a robust background in writing, editing and creative direction (knowledge of Google Suite essential, of eTapestry and OvationTix a bonus);
- knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (facility with graphic design vocabulary and language necessary, graphic design experience a plus);
- experience managing and leading teams (an interest in mentorship and staff development a plus).
AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY:
Ars Nova offers fair pay: we compensate both fairly and competitively within the not-for-profit entertainment industry, as well as on a transparent level salary system within the organization. Benefits include health and dental insurance, an open and unlimited vacation policy, opt-in 403B, FSA, and TransitChek plans, and more. Ars Nova also offers a congenial and supportive environment conducive to professional growth and development. Start date: July 8, 2019.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and three references to Renee Blinkwolt, Managing Director, without delay. We want you to ditch the form letter and speak from the heart: what excites you about this job. Don’t worry about selling us on your skills: the resume will tell us what you can do, let your cover letter tell us who you are.
Ars Nova is an equal opportunity employer, values equity and inclusion, and prioritizes representation and diversity. People of color, and/or from diverse backgrounds/underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email submissions only. (Send only word or PDF files; no web links). Send questions and/or your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates of interest will be contacted; please no calls.