Deadline: May 21, 2017
About the Program
The Writing Fellowship is designed to help writers write. Four early-career playwrights receive nine months of resources, readings and feedback designed to help them reach their professional and artistic goals. Over the course of the season, Fellows develop a single new play. Monthly group meetings provide a collaborative, energizing space for writers to share and refine their work. One-on-one meetings with The Realm’s artistic staff support each writer’s specific artistic process. Fellows work with a director, design consultant, and actors over the course of two readings to see their work come to life. Professional development resources are also integral to the program and are tailored to meet the needs of each Writing Fellow. Mentor opportunities, meet-and-greets, and professional seminars are designed to shed light on the business of theatre, and empower the Fellows to be active, informed participants in their own careers. The culminating event of the program is the INK’D Festival, which features a public reading of each Fellow’s play.
Writing Fellows Receive
- $3,000 Award
- Internal reading
- Public reading
- Prime real estate on the Realm couch
- An occasional hug
- Playwrights must be able to attend meetings and readings in New York City approximately twice monthly from September 2017 through May 2018.
- Playwrights should identify as early-career.
- Those enrolled in an MFA program during the span of the fellowship are not eligible.
- Plays to be considered for the fellowship should be complete drafts at a stage of development that would benefit from a nine-month rewriting and workshopping process.
- Plays should have no commitments to other theaters that will limit their development with Playwrights Realm.
- Plays going through another similar development process simultaneously, or that have had a production outside of an academic environment, are not eligible.
- We are not looking for solo performance projects at this time.
Writing Fellows Application Components
- Completed application form.
- Theatrical résumé listing all academic credentials and professional productions
- Full draft of the play that you wish to develop as a Playwrights Realm Writing Fellow. The script must be submitted in PDF format with your name and the play title on a cover page
- A professional reference with contact information (optional).
Learn more here