Job Posting March 19, 2015
Position: Chinese Outreach Coordinator
Reports to: Executive and Artistic Director
Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts (FCCA), a.k.a. Flushing Town Hall (FTH), seeks a full-time Outreach Coordinator to the Chinese community. Working with FCCA staff and Chinese leaders in the Flushing/Queens community, the Coordinator will research, support, manage, recommend and expand upon all FCCA Chinese and Cross-cultural initiatives. The Coordinator will also coordinate, manage, and support FCCA’s Chinese Cultural Committee to conceive of, initiate and develop Chinese cultural programs and events. The Coordinator will also translate written materials into Chinese, and translate at public events for the Chinese Community.
- Manage FCCA’s Chinese Cultural Committee, including scheduling meetings, recruiting new members, helping to set the agenda for meetings, and representing FCCA at meetings when a senior staff member is unavailable to attend.
- Translate FCCA materials (marketing brochures, press releases, etc.) into Chinese.
- Maintain and develop relationships with local Chinese-language media; work with FCCA marketing and PR staff to coordinate press events and press releases aimed at Chinese media.
- Post to Chinese Social Media platforms, such as Weibo, on behalf of FCCA.
- Recommend arts and cultural programs to FCCA programming staff, suitable to both the Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese communities resident in Flushing. Consult with the Chinese Cultural Committee and other community and arts leaders to develop Chinese programming ideas.
- Work to promote cross-cultural dialogue between the Chinese Community and other communities in the Flushing Area, including the Korean Community and other immigrant groups. Help to develop cross-cultural programming that would engage the Chinese community.
- Fundraise for Chinese programs in the local community, including seeking sponsorships from local business and donors, and identifying foundations, corporate grant programs, and government sources interested in supporting Chinese programs. Work with Development and Executive staff on fundraising efforts.
- Attend and represent FCCA at local Chinese and Taiwanese functions and events.
- Serve as an on-site translator at Flushing Town Hall events attended by Chinese speakers; translate during office hours for Chinese speakers who wish to speak with FCCA staff (e.g. rental, box office, education staff, etc.)
- Provide guidance to FCCA staff on cultural nuances and issues important to the local Chinese community.
- Expand awareness of FCCA and its mission, within the Chinese Communities of NYC; work to expand FCCA’s audience from the Chinese Community for all programs.
- The candidate must be fully bi-lingual, fluent in both written and spoken English and Chinese.
- Strong communication skills, especially the ability to act comfortably and confidently with people of different backgrounds.
- 2-3 years experience in any area of arts administration, especially community engagement, and/or equivalent degree.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- The desire to grow and gain experience in multiple aspects of Arts administration, including community outreach, marketing, fundraising, and programming.
- Knowledge and experience of Queens, NY a plus
- Knowledge of and/or practice in the arts a plus
Please submit a resume, cover letter, writing samples in BOTH English and Chinese, and 2 references, to FCCA Deputy Director Sami Abu Shumays via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the words “Chinese Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls or mail submissions, please.
About Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts (FCCA):
FCCA was founded in 1979 to present diverse arts from all over the world, to contribute to the revitalization of Flushing, Queens, and to foster an intercultural exchange through the arts. In the 1990s FCCA acquired and renovated historic Flushing Town Hall (1862 Historic Landmark) on behalf of NYC, and operates the building as a thriving multi-disciplinary arts center, presenting music, dance, theater, visual arts and film. FCCA is a member of NYC’s Cultural Institutions Group (CIG), and a Smithsonian Affiliate. For more information, please visit: www.flushingtownhall.org
FCCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: FCCA provides equal access and equal opportunity in employment and services and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, or physical ability.